The YourGuarantor scheme @ Newcastle University Student Union
Apply to the YourGuarantor scheme to be your guarantor when you move into private housing.
The YourGuarantor service
Before you move into private accommodation, most landlords or lettings agencies will ask you for a guarantor.
This is someone who will pay your rent if you fall into debt whilst studying at Newcastle University Student Union.
Newcastle University Student Union has partnered with YourGuarantor who can act as a UK guarantor for students who qualify.
YourGuarantor can do this under the below tenancy conditions
We can only do this for:
1. covering a maximum of £1500 per person, per month rent, no other debts
2. assured short hold tenancies (a typical type of tenancy in the UK)
To act as your guarantor, YourGuarantor will charge you a percentage of the value of your tenancy or lease:
- 3.5% for overseas or EU students
- 5% for UK students.
You can estimate the cost using the calculator above.
If your application is accepted, you will be notified by email.
A certificate of the YourGuarantor guarantee will be available online once you have paid the fee. You can then show this to your landlord or letting agency.
YourGuarantor may reject your application if they have received negative feedback about your chosen property or landlord or if you do not meet the qualifying criteria
You will be notified by email if your application is rejected.
If you are unable to pay your rent at any time during your tenancy, you must notify the landlord and YourGuarantor as soon as possible.
If you do not notify YourGuarantor, the landlord or letting agent will inform them. YourGuarantor may then contact you to discuss the missed payment.
Any rent paid out on your behalf shall remain your responsibility in full. YourGuarantor may appoint a third party to recover any losses incurred on your behalf.
By signing up with YourGuarantor, you are confirming that you understand these responsibilities.
Before you apply
- not be in a situation that would affect you paying your rent on time
- understand that you are responsible for all costs, such as replacement keys or property damage, as well as rent payments
- know the address of the property you want to live in
- know the name and email address of the landlord or letting agent
- know the start and end dates of your tenancy
- know the total amount of rent for this period
Check you are eligible
You are in your second or placement year and:
- you have completed your previous academic year of study at Newcastle University before the start of your new housing contract
- you plan to live in private housing for up to a year from the end date of your first or second year if doing a placement
You are in your final year and:
- you have completed year two or a placement in the last academic year
- your private rented tenancy can be for up to 12 months ending no later than 31 August of the year you are due to graduate
You are in your first year as an exchange or study abroad student and:
- you are studying at Newcastle University for a non-UK degree that is longer than one year
- your tenancy is between when you start and finish your UK course
You are a first year postgraduate student and you have:
- your tenancy starts within a year of completing your previous UK course or once you have enrolled in your postgraduate course
your tenancy ends before the end date of your course at Newcastle
You are a returning postgraduate student and:
- your tenancy ends within 12 months of completing your previous academic year
You are a final year postgraduate student and:
- your tenancy is for up to 12 months and ends before the end of your course
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONSWhat does the scheme cover?
- The scheme covers rent arrears only.
- The guarantee is only applicable to Assured Shorthold Tenancies.
- YourGuarantor is able to guarantee rent per person up to a maximum of £1,500pcm.
- YourGuarantor reserves the right not to approve applications where it is aware that the property / landlord in question has a history of negative feedback, as advised by Homestamp or Banes City Council.
- YourGuarantor guarantee will cost you a percentage of the value of your tenancy / lease – 3.5% for Overseas/EU students and 5% for UK students.
- You can estimate the cost using the calculator on the YourGuarantor website.
(Value of the lease = monthly rent x number of months of the lease). In shared accommodation this will equal the individual students’ share of the value of the lease.
- The scheme will be administered by YourGuarantor
- Apply online at www.yourguarantor.com/newcastle-university/
- Applications will be subject to approval by YourGuarantor.
- Confirmation of acceptance will be emailed to you.
- A certificate of the guarantee will be available online once you have paid the fee.
- You will notify YourGuarantor and landlord as soon as you become aware of any circumstance, or potential circumstance, which could affect your ability to satisfy your responsibilities under the proposed tenancy agreement.
- You undertake to cooperate with YourGuarantor as required in order to minimise their liability under any Guarantee that they provide on your behalf and understand that this may mean vacating the rental property if the rent is in arrears.
- You are not aware of any current circumstance that would prevent you from satisfying all your responsibilities, as set out in the proposed tenancy agreement.
- You understand that, although YourGuarantor will act as Guarantor, you will remain liable for any losses, damages, expenses and/or costs that the Landlord would normally be entitled to recover.
- You understand that any rent paid out on your behalf or additional costs incurred by YourGuarantor under any Guarantee they may provide on your behalf shall remain your responsibility until settled in full.
- You understand that YourGuarantor may, at their own discretion, appoint a third party to recover any losses on its behalf.
- You understand that by accepting the Guarantee offered by YourGuarantor, you are confirming acceptance & understanding of the responsibilities set out in these commitments.