University of Bath YourGuarantor Scheme
Before you move into private accommodation, most landlords or lettings agencies will ask you for a guarantor.
This is someone who will pay your rent if you fall into debt whilst studying at the University of Bath.
The University of Bath works with Your Guarantor to act as a UK guarantor for students who qualify under specific circumstances.
We can only do this for:
1. covering a maximum of £1500 per person, per month rent, no other debts
2. assured short hold tenancies (a typical type of tenancy in the UK)
To act as your guarantor, The university will charge you a percentage of the value of your tenancy or lease:
3.5% for overseas or EU students and 5% for UK students.
You can estimate the cost using the calculator above.
If your application is accepted, you will be notified by email.
A certificate of the University’s guarantee will be available online once you have paid the fee. You can then show this to your landlord or letting agency.
We may reject your application if we have received negative feedback about your chosen property or landlord.
You will be notified by email if your application is rejected.
If you are unable to pay your rent at any time during your tenancy, you must notify the landlord and the University as soon as possible. The University will then contact you to discuss the missed payment.
Any rent paid out on your behalf shall remain your responsibility in full. The University may appoint a third party to recover any losses on our behalf.
By signing up with Your Guarantor, you are confirming that you understand these responsibilities.
Contact the University if you have any questions on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check whether you are eligible for the guarantor service.
Before you apply
- confirm with the landlord or letting agent that they are happy for the University to act as your guarantor. To check, you can show them this sample agreement. (link to agreement on front page)
- not be in a situation that would affect you paying your rent on time
- understand that you are responsible for all costs, such as replacement keys or property damage, as well as rent payments
- know the address of the property you want to live in
- know the name and email address of the landlord or letting agent
- know the start and end dates of your tenancy
- know the total amount of rent for this period
Check you are eligible
You are eligible to apply for the University to be your guarantor if any of these are true:
You are in your second or placement year and:
- you have completed your previous academic year of study at the University of Bath before the start of your new housing contract
- you plan to live in private housing for up to a year from the end date of your first or second year if doing a placement
You are in your final year and:
- you have completed year two or a placement in the last academic year
- your private rented tenancy can be for up to 12 months ending no later than 31 August of the year you are due to graduate
You are in your first year as an exchange or study abroad student and:
- you are studying at the University of Bath for a non-UK degree that is longer than one year
- your tenancy is between when you start and finish your UK course
You are a first year postgraduate student and you have:
- completed a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate course at the University of Bath
- completed a course of at least one year at another UK higher education institution
- completed a degree course or equivalent at a non-UK higher education institution
- your tenancy starts within a year of completing your previous UK course or once you have enrolled in your postgraduate course
your tenancy ends before the end date of your course at Bath
You are a returning postgraduate student and:
- your tenancy ends within 12 months of completing your previous academic year
You are a final year postgraduate student and:
- your tenancy is for up to 12 months and ends before the end of your course
The University’s role in the Guarantor process
Please contact email@example.com or call 01225 383111 if you have any questions regarding the above.
Further details are also available via the Your Guarantor website.
Frequently asked questionsWhat does the scheme cover?
- The scheme covers rent arrears only.
- The guarantee is only applicable to Assured Shorthold Tenancies.
- The university is able to guarantee rent per person up to a maximum of £1,500pcm.
- The university reserves the right not to approve applications where it is aware that the property / landlord in question has a history of negative feedback, as advised by Homestamp or Banes City Council.
- The university guarantee will cost you a percentage of the value of your tenancy / lease – 3.5% for Overseas/EU students and 5% for UK students.
- You can estimate the cost using the calculator on the YourGuarantor website.
(Value of the lease = monthly rent x number of months of the lease). In shared accommodation this will equal the individual students’ share of the value of the lease.
- The scheme will be administered by the University
- Apply online at www.yourguarantor.com/university-of-bath/
- Applications will be subject to approval by the University.
- Confirmation of acceptance will be emailed to you.
- A certificate of the university’s guarantee will be available online once you have paid the fee. You must confirm with the landlord / managing agent that they are happy for the university to act as guarantor prior to applying for the scheme.
- A sample of the guarantor terms & conditions are available to download from http://yourguarantor.com/landlord/.
- You will notify the university and landlord as soon as you become aware of any circumstance, or potential circumstance, which could affect your ability to satisfy your responsibilities under the proposed tenancy agreement.
- You undertake to cooperate with the university as required in order to minimise their liability under any Guarantee that they provide on your behalf and understand that this may mean vacating the rental property if the rent is in arrears.
- You are not aware of any current circumstance that would prevent you from satisfying all your responsibilities, as set out in the proposed tenancy agreement.
- You understand that, although the university will act as Guarantor, you will remain liable for any losses, damages, expenses and/or costs that the Landlord would normally be entitled to recover.
- You understand that any rent paid out on your behalf or additional costs incurred by the university under any Guarantee they may provide on your behalf shall remain your responsibility until settled in full.
- You understand that the university may, at their own discretion, appoint a third party to recover any losses on its behalf.
- You must establish the landlord / managing agent’s acceptance of the university guarantee prior to making an application (a sample of the rent guarantor document can be downloaded from www.yourguarantor.com).
- You understand that by accepting the Guarantee offered by the university, you are confirming acceptance & understanding of the responsibilities set out in these commitments.
- Where a rental payment is missed the Landlord / managing agent must notify the University within 14 days.
- The University will contact you to establish the circumstances surrounding the missed payment.
- If payment has not been made within 30 days of the missed payment, the insurer will invoke a claim.
- If the claim is valid, it will be settled by the insurer and paid to the University within 30 days of the claim being invoked.
- The University will settle the claim with the landlord after either receiving confirmation from Your Guarantor that a claim will be paid or once the monies have been received from the insurer.