University of Essex YourGuarantor Scheme
To help those without a UK guarantor, we have partnered with YourGuarantor. University of Essex is able to act as a UK rent guarantor for International and EU students renting in the private sector, giving you the opportunity to live off-campus and further enhance your UK experience.
Many private landlords and letting agents request that a third party acts as a guarantor for the rent before they will agree to let a property to a student. This will usually be a parent or a guardian.
Landlords will usually require a UK based guarantor, which can often be a problem for international students.
If you do not have anyone who can act as your guarantor in the UK, landlords and letting agents may ask you to pay more rent upfront (generally 6-12 months).
Guarantor Scheme for International and Eu Students
Am I eligible for the scheme?
|Level of study?||Criteria to be met in order to be eligible||Rent allowance: up to £1,500 per month|
|Undergraduate Foundation Year students||Not eligible for YourGuarantor Scheme|
|Undergraduate first year students||Must have completed a full-time Foundation programme at Essex last academic year. First year students who have not studied in the UK before are not eligible for the scheme.||Your private rented tenancy can be for up to 12 months from the end date of your foundation year|
|Undergraduate second year and Undergraduate placement year students||Must have completed Year 1 (or Year 2 if doing placement year) of a full-time Undergraduate programme at Essex last academic year||Your private rented tenancy can be for up to 12 months from the end date of your first year (or second year if doing a placement)|
|Undergraduate Final Year students||Must have completed Year 2 (or placement year) of a full-time Undergraduate programme at Essex last academic year||Your private rented tenancy can be for up to 12 months ending no later than 31 August of the year you are due to graduate|
|Students completing one year at Essex as part of an Exchange/Study Abroad programme||Must be studying at Essex for one year as part of a multi-year non-uk degree course||Your private rented tenancy must be between enrolment and UK course finish date|
Postgraduate Students (Taught and Research)
|Level of study?||Criteria to be met in order to be eligible||Tenancy allowance|
|Postgraduate first year students doing a 1 year course||
||Your private rented tenancy can be for up to 12 months from the end date of your previous course or from the day you enrol at Essex. The end of the tenancy must not surpass the end date of your course at Essex|
|Postgraduate first year students doing a course of more than 1 year||
||Your private rented tenancy can be for up to 12 months from the end date of your previous course or from the day you enrol at Essex.|
|Postgraduate Returning students||None||Your private rented tenancy can be for up to 12 months from the date your previous academic year finished|
|Postgraduate Final Year students||None||Your private rented tenancy can be for up to 12 months ending no later than the end date of your course|
The University and SU Lets role in the Guarantor process
The YourGuarantor scheme is only available to students renting a property through Essex Students’ Union SU Lets. If you have any questions regarding the above or wish to discuss this option before committing to it please contact SU Lets – email@example.com.
Further details are also available via the YourGuarantor website.
The University works with SU Lets and YourGuarantor to ensure that applicants to the scheme meet the relevant criteria for acceptance. If you have any queries regarding this process please contact the Student Services Hub firstname.lastname@example.org and mark your email for the attention of Darren Baker.
Frequently asked questionsWhat does the scheme cover?
- The scheme covers rent arrears only.
- The guarantee is only applicable to Assured Shorthold Tenancies.
- The university is able to guarantee rent per person up to a maximum of £1,500pcm.
- The university reserves the right not to approve applications where university is aware that the property / landlord in question has a history of negative feedback.
- The university guarantee will cost you 3.5% of the value of your tenancy / lease.
- You can estimate the cost using the calculator on the YourGuarantor website.
(Value of the lease = monthly rent x number of months of the lease). In shared accommodation this will equal the individual students’ share of the value of the lease.
- The scheme will be administered by the University of Essex Student Centre.
- Apply online at www.yourguarantor.com.
- Applications will be subject to approval by the University of Essex Student Centre.
- Confirmation of acceptance will be emailed to you.
- A certificate of the university’s guarantee will be available online once you have paid the fee. You must confirm with the landlord / managing agent that they are happy for the university to act as guarantor prior to applying for the scheme.
- A sample of the guarantor terms & conditions are available to download from www.yourguarantor.com.
- You are not aware of any current circumstance that would prevent you from satisfying all your responsibilities, as set out in the proposed tenancy agreement.
- You understand that, although the university will act as Guarantor, you will remain liable for any losses, damages, expenses and/or costs that the Landlord would normally be entitled to recover.
- You understand that any rent paid out on your behalf or additional costs incurred by the university under any Guarantee they may provide on your behalf shall remain your responsibility until settled in full.
- You understand that the university may, at their own discretion, appoint a third party to recover any losses on its behalf.
- You will notify the university and landlord as soon as you become aware of any circumstance, or potential circumstance, which could affect your ability to satisfy your responsibilities under the proposed tenancy agreement.
- You undertake to cooperate with the university as required in order to minimise their liability under any Guarantee that they provide on your behalf and understand that this may mean vacating the rental property if the rent is in arrears.
- You must establish the landlord / managing agent’s acceptance of the university guarantee prior to making an application (a sample of the rent guarantor document can be downloaded from www.yourguarantor.com).
- You understand that by accepting the Guarantee offered by the university, you are confirming acceptance & understanding of the responsibilities set out in these commitments.
- Where a rental payment is missed the Landlord / managing agent must notify the university with 14 days.
- The Student Centre will contact you to establish the circumstances surrounding the missed payment and offer an appointment with a Student Housing Advisor to advise and assist you.
- When the payment becomes overdue by 31 days the university will instigate payment to the landlord (Payment can take up to a further 31 days from this point).
- As stated above in points 3 & 4 of the Students Responsibilities & Commitment, the university reserves the right to recover costs in the event of payments made but we will not impose sanctions for the recovery of any payments made on your behalf as this would contravene the Office of Fair Trading guidance which states that imposing sanctions while trying to retrieve non-academic debt would be unlawful.