YourGuarantor Scheme @ University of Essex
To help those without a UK guarantor, we have partnered with YourGuarantor. YourGuarantor can act as a UK rent guarantor for International and EU students renting in the private sector, giving you the opportunity to live off-campus and further enhance your UK experience.
Many private landlords and letting agents request that a third party acts as a guarantor for the rent before they will agree to let a property to a student. This will usually be a parent or a guardian.
Landlords will usually require a UK based guarantor, which can often be a problem for international students.
If you do not have anyone who can act as your guarantor in the UK, landlords and letting agents may ask you to pay more rent upfront (generally 6-12 months).
Guarantor Scheme for International and Eu Students
Am I eligible for the scheme?
|Level of study?||Criteria to be met in order to be eligible||Rent allowance: up to £1,500 per month|
|Undergraduate Foundation Year students||Not eligible for YourGuarantor Scheme|
|Undergraduate first year students||Must have completed a full-time Foundation programme at Essex last academic year. First year students who have not studied in the UK before are not eligible for the scheme.||Your private rented tenancy can be for up to 12 months from the end date of your foundation year|
|Undergraduate second year and Undergraduate placement year students||Must have completed Year 1 (or Year 2 if doing placement year) of a full-time Undergraduate programme at Essex last academic year||Your private rented tenancy can be for up to 12 months from the end date of your first year (or second year if doing a placement)|
|Undergraduate Final Year students||Must have completed Year 2 (or placement year) of a full-time Undergraduate programme at Essex last academic year||Your private rented tenancy can be for up to 12 months ending no later than 31 August of the year you are due to graduate|
|Students completing one year at Essex as part of an Exchange/Study Abroad programme||Must be studying at Essex for one year as part of a multi-year non-uk degree course||Your private rented tenancy must be between enrolment and UK course finish date|
Postgraduate Students (Taught and Research)
|Level of study?||Criteria to be met in order to be eligible||Tenancy allowance|
|Postgraduate first year students doing a 1 year course||None||Your private rented tenancy can be for up to 12 months from the end date of your previous course at Essex or from the day you enrol at Essex. The end date of your tenancy can be no later than the end of the month following the month of your graduation|
|Postgraduate first year students doing a course of more than 1 year||None||Your private rented tenancy can be for up to 12 months from the end date of your previous course or from the day you enrol at Essex.|
|Postgraduate Returning students||None||Your private rented tenancy can be for up to 12 months from the date your previous academic year finished|
|Postgraduate Final Year students||None||Your private rented tenancy can be for up to 12 months ending no later than the end date of your course (If your course is taught / research) or the end of the month following the month of your graduation|
The University and SU Lets role in the Guarantor process
University and Students’ Union Support and Advice
Your Student Services Hub is the place to go for the information you need. Your question matters and you’ll get answers from experts. For more information visit https://www1.essex.ac.uk/students/contact/.
Students’ Union Advice offers advice and guidance on Student Housing. We can advise on most things from Renting in the Private Sector to University Accommodation. https://www.essexstudent.com/advice/housing/.
If for any reason we are unable to answer your query we can offer advice and contact details for other support services who may be better able to advise you.
Please follow the links below for further information. If you would like to speak to an Adviser about your query please do not hesitate to contact SU Advice: https://www.essexstudent.com/advice/.
Frequently asked questionsWhat does the scheme cover?
- The scheme covers rent arrears only.
- The guarantee is only applicable to Assured Shorthold Tenancies.
- YourGuarantor is able to guarantee rent per person up to a maximum of £1,500pcm.
- YourGuarantor reserves the right not to approve applications where YourGuarantor is aware that the property / landlord in question has a history of negative feedback.
- The guarantee will cost you 3.5% of the value of your tenancy / lease.
- You can estimate the cost using the calculator on the YourGuarantor website.
(Value of the lease = monthly rent x number of months of the lease). In shared accommodation this will equal the individual students’ share of the value of the lease.
- The scheme will be administered by YourGuarantor.
- Apply online at www.yourguarantor.com.
- Applications will be subject to approval by the YourGuarantor.
- Confirmation of acceptance will be emailed to you.
- A certificate of the guarantee will be available online once you have paid the fee.
- You are not aware of any current circumstance that would prevent you from satisfying all your responsibilities, as set out in the proposed tenancy agreement.
- You understand that, although YourGuarantor will act as Guarantor, you will remain liable for any losses, damages, expenses and/or costs that the Landlord would normally be entitled to recover.
- You understand that any rent paid out on your behalf or additional costs incurred by YourGuarantor under any Guarantee they may provide on your behalf shall remain your responsibility until settled in full.
- You understand that YourGuarantor may, at their own discretion, appoint a third party to recover any losses on its behalf.
- You will notify YourGuarantor and landlord as soon as you become aware of any circumstance, or potential circumstance, which could affect your ability to satisfy your responsibilities under the proposed tenancy agreement.
- You undertake to cooperate with YourGuarantor as required in order to minimise their liability under any Guarantee that they provide on your behalf and understand that this may mean vacating the rental property if the rent is in arrears.
- You understand that by accepting the Guarantee offered by YourGuarantor, you are confirming acceptance & understanding of the responsibilities set out in these commitments.